Saturday, June 16, 2018

Week 5: UWF Pensacola


It was so hard to believe that these last 5 weeks have gone by so fast. I'm so thankful for all the friends that I have made! It was awesome to network with everyone. I was worried about being the only one from FAU, but everyone fit so well together! I hope that we can all stay in touch and work together in the future.

Looking for Shorebirds
Photo: Amanda Schaaf
We spent the week looking at the different bayous around Pensacola, and it was really cool to see the way that the water moves through the land. I'm still not used to how different North Florida is from the rest of the state, and I feel like I have a much better appreciation and understanding of our state. We got a chance to tour the EPA as well, which was super inspiring and has me excited about continuing my career path. 

This week I learned a lot of lab skills and used some equipment that I have never used before! I especially liked the electronic pipettes. We looked at microplastics, filtered for suspended solids and chlorophyll. We also did some more seagrass and bird work, and wrapped up the week with our water quality presentation! 

Thank you so much to those at UWF who made this last week happen! 
Least Tern Chicks!
Photo Credit: Amanda Schaaf
Carnivorous Pitcher Plant

Counting Seagrass Blades
Photo: Amanda Schaaf
Pipetting during out Nitrate analysis
Photo: Barbara Albrecht

                                       
Presenting Water Quality Stats
Photo: Barbara Albrecht
Beautiful Pensacola Beach!
                              











No comments:

Post a Comment