Sunday, June 17, 2018

Week 5 UWF- The Final Countdown


This last week of the course was at my home institution and was led by Dr. Caffrey and Barbara Albrecht. They provided a great ending to what we started 4 weeks ago. This week we utilized skills that we have acquired over the trek all over Florida. One of my favorite experiences from this week was working in the lab. I started this course completely fearing lab work. Throughout the course I gained knowledge on a variety of field techniques and laboratory skills that made this journey worth it. Being able to do microscopy and sample processing was great. Working on the water quality samples using filters and the total suspended solid methodology to collect residual matter in the water was a new technique for me. Driving all over Pensacola sampling locations like ditches on the side of the road or a beach houses backyard was something I never would have thought to do. One off the biggest takeaways from the course was the importance of measuring water quality. It has a direct correlation to the environmental and biological impacts we experience on a daily. Being knowledgeable about the quality of water allows for solutions to begin being generated. It also shows the effects of overtime urbanization from rural to industrialized communities and how ground water and run off are extremely impactful to the environment. Seeing fluctuations in the YSI data collected provided insights on how different water ways ae all over Florida. Being able to analyze variances in pH, salinity, conductivity, and dissolved oxygen was very interesting. The most challenging part was coming to grasps with the fact that overtime urbanization in most areas is extremely detrimental to the waterways. Seeing the broadened picture that growing shorelines for entertainment is not a good sign.  Areas that have extensive amounts of shopping centers, restaurants, or homes are contributing to the output of water filled with fecal matter, toxins, and chemicals that are extremely harmful to the environment.
Behavioral observation at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa
Photo by: Amanda Schaaf

Gator watching in Jacksonville
Photo by: A fellow group member

Sea grass transect performed by Sarah and I
Photo by: Amanda Schaaf


      The class also performed some bird surveying on Pensacola Beach. That experience alone was incredible! Having the opportunity to properly use binoculars and monocular to see the shorebirds was a fun task. My favorite was seeing the small chicks as they crossed the road. Also, the scavenger hunt was thrilling because it allowed us to use the radio transmitter to search for what would usually be a shorebird and nest. Hearing that shorebirds are being highly affected by human activity is not surprising, but it is sad to hear. It motivates me to continue in the journey of becoming a conservationist, so I can teach the public and raise awareness for the many species like the shorebirds that need our help to protect them.

Keys Marine Lab day 1
Photo by: Beija Gore

World Ocean Day
Photo by: Beija Gore




Shorebird Surveying on Pensacola Beach
Photo by: Barbara Albrecht



These five weeks have been full of laughs, vomiting spells, late nights, early mornings, hard work, and countless puns. It has broadened my horizon on the many different opportunities for graduate school and research ideas. It has allowed me to network and acquire dedicated contacts that I can gain valuable help from. However, most importantly it has solidified that my passion and drive for marine life and conservation is something I truly want to pursue as a career. Over these past couple weeks, I have developed the confidence in the field to not only properly utilize expensive equipment but to also ask questions until I achieve full understanding of the tasks. It has taken patience and some serious pep talks but this journey has been nothing but an upward march in the acquisition of knowledge. I never would have imagined I would be able to say I have witnessed cutting edge coral restoration practices in person, I have done sampling on a NOAA research vessel, I have been waist deep performing mangrove transects, I have helped in geologic core sampling, done telemetry for shorebirds on a white sandy beach, walked the banks surveying alligators at night to study diel patterns, or sifted through water samples identifying micro-plastics. 

Preparing the water sample for total suspended solid assessment
Photo by: Barbara Albrecht

Conquering sea sickness one dramamine at a time aboard the R/V Weatherbird
Photo by: Beija Gore


Megan and I on presentation day at USFSP
Photo by: Amanda Schaaf

 Nathan and I looking at a sample during USFSP week
Photo by: Amanda Schaaff
 Sample identification aboard the R/V Weatherbird
Photo by: Amanda Schaaf
 Data collection aboard theR/V Weatherbird
Photo by: Amanda Schaaf
Core sampling at FGCU
Photo by: Amanda Schaaf
Looking for Microplastics at UWF
Photo by: Barbara Albrecht



As this journey has come to an end, like many other experiences I have had, I realize that this opportunity is bigger than me. These experiences that I have gained are for the minority. My documented journey is for those who don’t see individuals that look like them in their career fields that they aspire to pursue.  My experiences and the photos I share are all aids in displaying the knowledge and skills that I have acquired over these last five weeks. I am very grateful to the FIO board and to all the professors that made the course happen. It has truly been a whirlwind of emotion and challenges and as I reflect on my 5-week journey, the memories and newfound knowledge will be cherished, molded, and cultivated forever.

Signing off,
Micaiala Hamner

No comments:

Post a Comment