Sunday, June 17, 2018

Week 5: The End of an Era

UWF and Wrapping Up

What a nice last minute touch
This week was filled with a whole lot of "where the heck am I?" moments. Namely when we pulled up to a ditch on the side of the road and were told we were taking water samples. As incredibly weird as I found it, it really highlighted just what a difference sediment, location, and water quality make. I'm not going to lie, a lot of this week was a blur, lots of driving and water samples but with such diverse habitats. Of course snorkeling in the seagrass was probably my favourite, even though that technically wasn't a part of what we were doing out there. It was nice to see a relatively pristine bed that was surrounded by development. Getting to go to the EPA was also an amazing opportunity since I'm kinda interested in policy and things of that nature. I will say though that having to present something in front of every professor I looked up to that we made in a night fueled by caffeine and panic was not a great experience. It came out better than expected, but I want to showcase my actual research and presentation skills and I did not feel like I did any of that justice.
What you can't see if both of us shivering
at this exact moment
Felt pretty proud at being able to
name the species

I'm still unsure about how to spell secchi disk
Sechi? Secki?
Overall this trip gave me lots of direction in what I want to do in life, and simultaneously none at all. The love that I harbour for the environment just shot through the roof even though I thought it was at capacity. I want to do everything at once (except open ocean research cruises, please God). It did however increase the drive I have for wanting to share the knowledge and passion I have with others, you can't save the planet if no one cares.

Dang again with the hand angling and
graphs, such a pro move
When this trip began I really wasn't sure how I would feel about it ending. And I gotta say, I'm way more confused that I ever thought I would be. I'm exhausted, slightly sunburned and not at all tanned, and broke as can be, and yet I would do it all over again. I have learned so many things these past weeks, not only science wise, but personal wise. I expected the sand, the sun, the taxonomy, but didn't expect the people. I live with an English major, so meeting all these science nerds was incredible and I could probably write a paragraph for each one but that's an awful lot of typing. Either way, I feel like a brand new person and I'm happier than I ever would've imagined having found my people. My vibe attracted my tribe and I'm thankful for each and everyone of them and the opportunities that lie ahead of all of us.

Thank you to every single person who made this possible. I kinda hate that I'm getting almost emotional making this post, but this trip was truly a turning point in my life that I won't forget. So thank you again for everything.

-Shannon Brauer

I love all of y'all, even if I refuse to hug people. Stay awesome













No comments:

Post a Comment