Sunday, June 10, 2018

Open Ocean Week - Jessica Miller

This week was really awesome. Being on the Weatherbird research vessel was absolutely amazing, I think that it really opened my eyes to more opportunities in offshore research that I would like to participate in. I really enjoyed being on the vessel and wish that we could have spent several more days at sea rather then it just being a day trip. Deploying and pulling trawls and the other nets was something that I had never done before, the cruise was a completely new experience for me. I thought that it was really awesome to pull the otter trawl and dredge up and see all the different organisms that were inside. I love the process of identifying organisms and we did a lot of that on the cruise, I find it very satisfying to finally figure out what an organisms scientific name is after searching through several different field guides. 


After the cruise we had to pair up and do a data analysis project on a question of our choosing based on the data that we gathered on the cruise on the Weatherbird. Sarah and I chose to research difference in gear and how the abundance of crabs caught in the different types compared to each other. We compared the Otter trawl and the dredge and found that there was no significant difference in the abundance of crabs that were caught based on the data from 2014, 2016, and 2018. 








No comments:

Post a Comment