Sunday, June 17, 2018

Fastest five weeks of my life! Now what?

Our Last week at UWF with Dr. Caffrey and Barbara was great. We followed the water from the headwaters to the shore of Pensacola Beach taking water quality measurements the entire way. We learned a lot about water quality through the path and found some cool things in a ditch near a restoration area.





Shannon, Chris and I braved the waves to get the water quality at the beach. The water was perfect and I really didn't want to get out. Ha! Thanks for the pics Beija!



We had a second try at sea grass monitoring. The water was a lot clearer at this location so it was a bit easier this time around. And another look at birds, this time shorebirds and transmitters. That was a fun activity. Thanks Amanda for some really killer pics of me! You are amazing and I'm gonna miss you like crazy.


PC: Barbara


Finally, all those bottles of water we've been collecting for the microplastics were processed. I was super excited to have been a part of that team since I am interested in this area of study. We presented our finding at the symposium and I think that went well. I hope they enjoyed everyone's hard work to put everything together on the water quality.

I had a great time this week. It was nice to see everything come together in a big picture sort of way. This course taught me so much and definitely provided so many opportunities to use field equipment in a meaningful way. I've got a lot to add to my resume, so thank you for that! Thank you to all the professors, FIO and institutions that made this possible, and thank you FIO for the scholarship as well! I had the time of my life, made some great new friends, met some awesome professors, gained some new skills, had a few new interests peeked, and got to mingle with some professionals in the marine science field! This course was totally worth it and I will recommend it to everyone! So sad to see it end, but in many ways it's a new beginning for me.

Thanks for the opportunity and experience!
~ Lisa Mann

Dr. Caffrey, Thank you!
Just had to get a hug in with Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment